Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Crazy Jane Talks to the Bishop...

So I shouldn't be updating right now...I've got two midterms tomorrow, a paper due and a presentation to prepare. Yikes. But good news....I GOT A NEW CAR!! I'll put some pictures up soon..hopefully. I'm not good with promises that have deadlines. It's a 2003 Grand Am with a lot of options. Rims, sunroof, Monsoon sound system, leather interior...pretty nice. I'm excited. Better than what I had before but I was still a little sad to see old Bessie go. Had her for six years. Oh well, maybe she'll make one more teenager happy before going to the big car lot in the sky. Whatever.

I read this poem by the current Poet Laureate Ted Kooser and it made me chuckle and think to myself 'ya know, this is probably going to be the story of my writing...if I ever get it published.' It may give you a chuckle too:

"Selecting a Reader"

First, I would have her be beautiful,

and walking carefully up on my poetry
at the loneliest moment of an afternoon,
her hair still damp at the neck
from washing it. She should be wearing
a raincoat, an old one, dirty
from not having money enough for the cleaners.
She will take out her glasses, and there
in the bookstore, she will thumb
over my poems, then put the book back
up on its shelf. She will say to herself,
"For that kind of money, I can get
my raincoat cleaned." And she will.

That's great.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay AG... I know I'm a complete and total idiot, but I don't understand the title...

Sunshine

March 02, 2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger agitswhoiam said...

ha, it's a Yeats poem...i don't know if the poem fits with what i wrote but the title was stuck my head...ha!

March 02, 2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Herschel said...

thats a good poem...i think that guy came and spoke at bethel last year if i am not mistaken....i know the poet laureate spoke, just dont know if it was current or past...

March 02, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Heather Mae said...

lol. i like that. yay for the new car... wotWot!

March 02, 2006 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh okay. I guess that explains it since I'm not up on English poetry. In fact, I don't think I've ever read anything by Yeats. Thanks for letting me in on it. I'll try to read it sometime... I'm sure there's a connection between the two somewhere.

Sunshine

March 03, 2006 6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home