Monday, January 02, 2006

A Great Start..

Well, I had a wonderful day to start the new year yesterday. R.B. Mays came to speak our church and both of the sermons...wow. It was great and I felt a jolt that I haven't felt in awhile. I really needed that. But I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to make any new year's resolutions this year. Every year I try and usually fail. So no more false committments. It's also a depressing way to start off the year...who wants to make a promise to themselves just to realize that the goal is unattainable...or maybe we just don't have the will to do it. So I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. If I need to make a resolution then that means something isn't going right and for me, I'm sure it's been an ongoing process. Why decide to do something at the beginning of the year? Okay, rambling, I know.

Just thought I'd share this with you all too. I ran across this picture and it got me thinking... Yes, there once was a day when I was young, nicely tanned, blonde headed and blue eyed...and that day passed long, long ago. But sometimes I wish I could go back there. Barbie dolls and grass stains were much more fun than laundry and taxes. In all honesty, the things that I've realized lately have been tough issues to face, but I'm glad I'm doing it now rather than later...

One big thing that has occurred to me is how much a person's childhood resonates in their adult life. I guess I never fully understood that until I had to really dig down and deal with things that have bothered me for so long. I've seen this in so many people, not just myself. What happens in a person's youth can greatly determine their demeanor and how well they function in society. Seeing this first hand and coming to a much clearer understanding of how true this is, it actually seems pretty scary. I think I realize even more now the huge responsibility that parents take on. I mean, I never thought parenting was a light task, but lately I've been realizing that it is one of the most important factors in determining how a person will function in their adult life. There are so many details and examples of this and I could talk for hours about it, but just think about things that have happened in your life, how you were raised. And look at how that has molded you or shaped you into who you are now.

And the really frightening part of all this is that I see the slip happening. I know there are still great parents in the world that love their children and do everything in their power to promote their well-being. But there are many parents today that don't.

So as Adam and I look toward the future and think about child rearing, I feel better and worse at the same time thinking about this information. It's good to realize the weight on a parent's shoulders, but at the same time the fear of falling short is always there. I really admire and appreciate those who truly reach out to foster children. Not only have they provided a safe haven for those children, but they've also given them a chance at a better adult life.

That was my rambling for the day. No resolutions and be good parents. But really, the latter of those two subjects has really been on my mind a lot lately. Ha. I guess that John Mayer knew what he was talking about in his song "Daughters." True stuff in there, if you get a chance to really listen to what he says. Well, that's enough. Bumblebeetuna.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the depth of your thinking! I don't know what brought me to your site today except for God. The truth is we all worry about what we have failed to accomplish in the parenting roles and wish we could do. But what really matters is following Christ and to always let your light shine. However, we are human and we all fail miserably all the time. If we put Christ first and then our family, we will find the parenting aspect is a much lighter load. Not that there aren't mistakes but you have someone on your side who lifts you when you fall, comforts you when you have sorrow, and rejoices with you when you see how great your children have become in spite of your failures. Isn't it awesome God can make your children great in spite of the parents?!
Mom-in-law

January 04, 2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger agitswhoiam said...

Yes, God is amazing in what He can do with a broken life...in spite of parenting, He can still use a person's life experiences to His glory...but it is still comforting to know that during the process of parenting, God is there to guide. Thanks for the comment Mom, it is great to have a perfect God to help us in the areas that we're not!!

January 04, 2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger "Sunshine" said...

Totally off-topic of the serious aspect of this post, but that is a really cute pic you put in this post. I love looking back at old(?) pictures.

January 05, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger agitswhoiam said...

ha, thanks..and i totally agree, i love looking at old pictures, i could sit and do it for hours, it's so neat to get a glimpse of what people were like years and years ago

January 07, 2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home